All event planning and daily operations at Fairfax Station are the result of the commitment of our hardworking volunteers. The Friends of Fairfax Station is always looking for more dedicated individuals to help share the workload and increase the scope of the museum’s events and activities.
If you are interested in volunteering, there are many opportunities available, including but not limited to the following:
- Docents – Give tours to the public or work in the gift shop Sundays (normally 1:00-4:00 pm).
- Displays – Use your creative skills to arrange appealing and educational displays with museum artifacts.
- Gift Shop – Help take inventory, create merchandise displays, assist with purchasing management, sales, etc.
- Special Events – Work in various capacities during special events such as the Holiday Train Show.
- Grounds & Building – Help keep the station looking its best; duties include outside weeding and pruning, changing light bulbs, small maintenance projects, antique clock preservation, road sign calendar updates, etc.
- Computer Assistance – Maintain membership lists, address labels, assist in newsletter publication, etc.
- Publicity – Distribute flyers and ads for special events.
- Fundraising – Conceive and implement new ideas to increase scope and revenue of the museum’s initiatives.
Volunteer opportunities also are available for high school students interested in fulfilling community service requirements. Please see our volunteer guidelines for details.
For further information, please contact the Station at 703-425-9225 or firstname.lastname@example.org.