All event planning and daily operations at Fairfax Station are the result of the commitment of our hardworking volunteers. The Friends of Fairfax Station is always looking for more dedicated individuals to help share the workload and increase the scope of the museum’s events and activities.
If you are interested in volunteering, there are many opportunities available, including but not limited to the following:
- Docents – Give tours, handle our admissions table or work in the gift shop during open hours (normally Sundays from 1:00-4:00 pm).
- Displays – Use your creative skills to arrange appealing and educational displays with museum artifacts.
- Gift Shop – Help take inventory, create merchandise displays, assist with purchasing management and sales.
- Educational programs – Assist in developing and implementing special programs for visitors of various ages.
- Special Events – Work in various capacities during special events such as the Holiday Train Show.
- Grounds & Building – Help keep the station looking its best. Duties include outside weeding and pruning, changing light bulbs, small maintenance projects, antique clock preservation and road sign calendar updates. Hours are flexible.
- Computer Assistance – Maintain membership lists, address labels and assist in museum publications.
- Social media – Help make our use of social media - including our website, Facebook page, Twitter account and YouTube channel - more effective to expand our audiences.
- Publicity – Distribute flyers and ads for special events.
- Fundraising – Conceive and implement new ideas to increase scope and revenue of the museum’s initiatives.
Volunteer opportunities also are available for high school students interested in fulfilling community service requirements. Please see our volunteer guidelines for details.
Most activities require a minimum monthly contribution of four to five hours. If interested in volunteering, please complete our application form and return it to email@example.com. We will get in touch as soon as we recieive it. For further information, please contact the Station at 703-425-9225 or firstname.lastname@example.org.